10 Super Foods You Should Eat!
- Sweet potatoes - a nutritional all-star - one of the most nutritious vegetables you can eat. They're loaded with vitamin A, carotenoids, vitamin C, potassium and fibre.
- Whole-grain bread - it's higher in fibre and about a dozen vitamins and minerals than refined white or "wheat" flour.
- Broccoli - lots of vitamin C, carotenoids, and folic acid.
- Watermelon - excellent source of vitamin C and carotenoids - and it tastes great!
- Beans - inexpensive, low in fat, and rich in protein, iron, folic acid, and fibre. Choose garbanzo, pinto, black, navy, kidney, or lentils.
- Cantaloupe - a quarter of a delicious melon supplies as much vitamin A and C as most people need in an entire day.
- Spinach & kale - loaded with vitamin C, carotenoids, calcium, and fibre.
- Oranges - a great-tasting fruit that's rich in vitamin C, folic acid and fibre.
- Oatmeal - plain, old-fashioned whole-grain oatmeal is inexpensive and has no added sugar or fat.
- Skim or 1% milk (but not 2%) - excellent source of calcium, vitamins, and protein, with little or no artery-clogging fat and cholesterol.
Nutrition Action Healthletter, via Regina Ostomy News 9/99, via Inside Out On-line Nov/Dec 2000.
Return to This Issue Index
Return to WOA Home Page