The Winnipeg Ostomy Association (WOA) a self-help group formed in 1972 to assist people with ostomy and related surgeries in Winnipeg and the surrounding area. We are strictly a volunteer organization, depending on member involvement to operate and on membership dues to pay expenses. The WOA has a current membership of 260 and there are about 3000 ostomates in the Province of Manitoba. The Winnipeg Ostomy Association (WOA) is a chapter of the The Ostomy Canada Society, a national voluntary health organization dedicated to assisting people who have or will have intestinal or urinary tract diversions.
We provide a visiting program to those having ostomy related surgeries. Trained and certified members visit people having ostomy surgery, either pre- or post-operatively, and provide information, share experiences and give emotional support. We visit up to100 people each year. We also provide educational services; support to the family unit; advocacy; and promote our services to the public and professional communities. Annual membership dues are currently Can$40.00. Here’s how to join. WOA members receive Inside Out, the chapter newsletter, The Ostomy Canada Society’s Ostomy Canada magazine, and the benefit of meeting others with ostomies and listening to ostomy related presentations at our regular meetings. The Winnipeg Ostomy Association is a not-for-profit registered charity and welcomes bequests and donations.
Executive, Committee and Medical Advisors
|Board of Directors|
|Visiting Coordinator||Bonnie Dyson||204-669-5830|
|Newsletter Editor||Lorrie Pismenny||204-489-2731|
|Membership Chair||Rosemary Gaffray||1-204-367-8031|
|Past President||Fred Algera||204-654-0743|
|Refreshments/Scoial Convenors||Fem Ann Algera|
|Newsletter Mailing||Bert & Betty Andrews|
|Visitor Training||Lorrie Pismenny||204-489-2731|
|FOWC Supplies Pick Up||Barry Cox||204-832-9088|
|NSWOC||Carisa Lux, RN, ET MOP||204-938-5757|
|NSWOC||Angie Libbrecht, RN, ET St. Bon.||204-237-2566|
|NSWOC||Jennifer Bourdeaud’hui, RN, ET St. Bon.||204-237-2566|
|NSWOC||Rhonda Loeppky RN, ET St. Bon.||204-237-2566|
|NSWOC||Bonita Yarjau, RN, ET H.S.C.||204-787-3537|
|NSWOC||Elaine Beyer, RN, ET H.S.C.||204-787-3537|
|NSWOC||Tina Rutledge, RN, ET H.S.C.||204-787-3537|
|NSWOC||Helen Rankin, RN, BN, ET Brandon||1-204-578-4205|
|PHYSICIAN||Dr. C. Yaffe|
WOA’s voice mail Information Number – (204) 237-2022; The voice mail is checked often and gives the above contact phone numbers as well. Please leave a message.
Visitation Program – Bonnie Dyson 204-669-5830
The Winnipeg Ostomy Association
204 – 825 Sherbrook St.
Winnipeg, MB. Canada R3A 1M5.
Email Winnipeg Ostomy Association at firstname.lastname@example.org
In Case of Emergency
Emergency? Do You Need a NSWOC, Ostomy Supplies, or Contact Information on the WOA?
Here’s Where to Look!
In Case of Emergency
For Medical Emergencies:
- Go to your local hospital’s Emergency Room!
For Non-Urgent Ostomy Related Medical Issues:
Contact an NSWOC. (See below)
Manitoba Ostomy Program NSWOCs.
The Manitoba Ostomy Program Enterostomal Therapy (ET) Nurses:
845 Regent Avenue,
Contact phone numbers for Winnipeg MOP NSWOCs are:
- Carisa Ewanyshyn RN, ET: 204-938-5758
- Rhonda Loeppky RN, ET: 204-938-5758
Brandon, R.H.C. MOP NSWOC
- Helen Rankin, BN, ET, Brandon, R.H.C. 1-204-578-4205
Winnipeg Hospital Based NSWOCs.
Contact phone numbers for Winnipeg Hospital Based NSWOCs are:
- Angie Libbrecht, RN, ET – St. Boniface Hospital 204-237-2566
- Jennifer Bourdeaud’hui, RN, ET – St. Boniface Hospital 204-237-2566
- Bonita Yarjau, RN, ET – H.S.C. 204-787-3537
- Elaine Beyer, RN, ET – H.S.C. 204-787-3537
- Tina Rutledge, RN, ET – H.S.C. 204-787-3537
Need Ostomy Supplies in Manitoba?
Ostomy supplies are distributed through the Manitoba Ostomy Program in Manitoba. This is a part of the Provincial Government’s Department of Health.
At the present time, for Manitoba residents, the Provincial Government pays for Ostomy Supplies.
Ostomy Supplies are distributed on the recommendation of a NSWOC. If you are not currently supplied by the Manitoba Ostomy Program or would like a consultation on your ostomy supply needs, please contact either your E.T. nurse or one of the Manitoba Ostomy Program NSWOCs.
To order supplies, please contact:
Health Sciences Center (HSC) Materials Handling
59 Pearl St., Winnipeg, MB
204-926-6080 or 1-877-477-4773
Hours of operation are: Monday to Friday 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M (Except Holidays)
Pick-up: Monday to Friday 8:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M
Supplies not covered by Manitoba Ostomy Program and Provincial Medicare are available in Winnipeg, outside of the Manitoba Ostomy Program, from Medical Supply Outlets and selected Pharmacies.
WOA Contact Information
For Information on The Winnipeg Ostomy Association
- Meeting times and cancellations
- Arranging a visitor
- Other non-medical ostomy issues
Please contact: Lorrie Pismenny – 204-489-2731 – Email: email@example.com
Or, call the WOA Voice Mail Number 204-237-2022.
The voice mail is checked daily and gives other contact phone numbers as well. Please leave a message.
Bequests and Donations
- Have You thought of Making a Donation to the WOA?
Did you know that:
- the WOA is a registered not for profit organization?
- donations of $10.00 or more to the Winnipeg Ostomy Association receive an income tax receipt?
- there are tax savings advantages when bequeathing a donation in your will to a registered organization like The Winnipeg Ostomy Association?
- the Winnipeg Ostomy Association relies on your membership dues for our day to day operations?
- our newsletter, the visiting program, and other WOA functions all rely on the support from your membership dues?
- there would be no Manitoba Ostomy Program if the Winnipeg Ostomy Association had not asked for it and later lobbied hard to maintain it?
- that the Manitoba Ostomy Program is unique and looked on with envy in other provinces. It combines low ostomy equipment prices with professional E.T. nursing care?
- the Winnipeg Ostomy Association works hard on behalf of Manitoba ostomates and pledges to continue its efforts in the future?
- donations can be made by cheque. Please mark cheques “donation”, and make them out to the “Winnipeg Ostomy Association” and mail to:
The Winnipeg Ostomy Association
c/o P.O. Box 158
Pine Falls, Manitoba
The Winnipeg Ostomy Association will greatly appreciate your support!
A printable Donation Form is available by clicking here.
Stoma Anniversary Club
STOMA ANNIVERSARY FUND
Donations to this fund celebrate an ostomate’s second chance for healthy living following surgery. Donations usually multiply an amount set by the donor ($1, $5, $10, etc.) times the number of years since surgery of the person they are honouring. Most donations come from the ostomate themselves with the following statement:
The anniversary date of my stoma is________________ and to celebrate my sec-ond chance for healthy living, I am sending the sum of $ __________ per year since I had my ostomy surgery.
Proceeds from the Stoma Anniversary Club will continue to go towards the purchase of audio & video equipment to promote the Winnipeg Ostomy Association and its programs. To donate, print and fill out the from below or fill out the online donation form below.
Hardcopy File:Stoma Anniversary
Online Donation Form: